Have a problem with your CINEMA ZX Freecoaster rear hub / wheel? Here is a quick tutorial for you! How to adjust the gap, how to save the driver bearings from blowing out, how to disassemble the hub...and more!
HOW TO DISASSEMBLE A CINEMA ZX FREECOASTER?
NECESSARY TOOLS :
- 6mm Allen wrench (+ eventually a tube around for stiffness).
- Adjustable wrench or vice.
- C-clip plyer.
- Rubber mallet.
- Disassemble the nuts / washers / hubguards on both sides.
- Lock one of the cone nuts inside the adjustable wrench (or the vice) and slide the 6mm Allen wrench into the axle to unscrew it. A tubing or old hollow axle could be necessary to add more stiffness. Do the same for the other cone nut.
- Using the c-clip plyer, remove the 32mm c-clip (sitting on the opposite side of the driver).
- Unscrew the driver out of the hub.
- Using the rubber mallet, tap on the axle from the driver side, to push all the internals out of the body.
- All the internals are now accessible, you can maintain your hub, oor adjust the gap. Note that the clutch could still be sitting inside the hub body.
Please read the chapter about "blowing out" bearings before re-assembling your hub.
- Grease all the sleek surfaces of the axle, along with the clutch and driver contact areas.
- Slide the clutch, gap washers, and the 6002-2RS bearing onto the axle.
- Screw the cone nut against the 6002-2RS bearing (no need to force).
- Push the driver back into the 6905-2RS bearing.
- Using the mallet, tap on the axle from the non-drive side, to push everything back into the hub body.
- Screw the driver to the max into the clutch (as if you were pedaling).
- You can now remove the cone nut, and put the 32mm c-clip back into position.
- Re-assemble the cone nuts, hubguards, washers and nuts.
HOW TO ADJUST THE GAP/SLACK ON A CINEMA ZX FREECOASTER?
- Disassemble the whole hub as shown above.
- The gaps spacers go between the 6002-2RS bearing and the freecoaster clutch (the silver area at the center of the picture).
MORE GAP = REMOVE SOME SPACERS.
LESS GAP = ADD SOME SPACERS.
HOW TO FIX THE "BLOWING OUT" DRIVER BEARINGS ON A CINEMA ZX FREECOASTER?
This procedure has already been done on all CINEMA ZX Freecoasters sold by Unleaded BMX shop.
- Disassemble the nut / washer / hubguard / cone-nut on the drive side.
- Using a c-clip plyer, remove the 24mm c-clip from the driver (the one sitting against the 6802-2RS bearings).
- Unscrew the driver out of the hub.
- Remove the washer sitting behind the driver (between the big 6905-2RS bearing and the driver).
- Screw the driver back into the hub. Slightly tap on the teeth with a rubber mallet (or use a chain whip) so the driver seats in direct contact with the big 6905-2RS bearing.
- Re-assemble the cone-nut / hubguard / washer / nut on the drive side.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS :
MY WHEEL HAS SOME WOBBLE, WHY?
This could come from 3 different things :
- Your spokes are too loose. You'll need to tight them and true the wheel.
- Some bearings or parts could be damaged. You'll need to replace them.
- A slight wobble can appear on clutch type freecoaster. This is caused by the mechanical supports or functional clearance between the clutch and driver. This wobble should disapear when the system is engaged (pressure on the pedal).
CAN IT RUN WITHOUT ANY GAP?
Yes, but it's not recommended on a clutch type freecoaster. A small gap could cause an unwanted engagement while riding backwards. So the gap is necessary to keep enough slack in your crankset, and avoid any fall / crash.
CAN YOU ADJUST THE GAP BEFORE SHIPPING MY ORDER?
Yes, you just need to ask in the order comment field. We will take care of it FREE OF CHARGE. Don't forget to indicate the gap you want (1/2 turn, 1/4 turn, ...).